Saturday, June 9, 2012

See if you can relate to this story....

You walk into a restaurant for lunch or dinner and the hostess gathers menus and rolled utensils.  You watch as this tiny little thing (she might be 20 and might weigh 100 pounds) easily maneuvers between tables and around chairs (who puts chairs and tables so close together, leaving tiny spaces for people to walk?).  You can feel your stomach, once hungry, now empty and turning somersaults as you try to navigate the sea of furniture.  The fear of bumping into an innocent patron, forcing them forward and jabbing the back of their throat with a forkful of food sends you reeling. What to do?  Do you follow the same path as the hostess and hope for the best?  Do you make an excuse to go to the bathroom before heading to the table?  Do you fake a fall so everyone clears the way for you?  Or yell "FIRE!" and wait for the clearing?

Or what about this one......?

You see a crowd of people and you know you'll have to wade through them.  OK, fine.  No problem - "Excuse me.....excuse me....excuse me...." I never had a problem with being polite, but apparently other people's mama's never told them that fat people don't have cooties.  Amazing how wide a berth people give a big person, all in the name of "don't touch me".  What is this, the playground in 2nd grade?   

These are just a few of the spatial challenges I have had.  Someone who is thin, or not morbidly obese like I was, probably wouldn't have noticed these situations.  While I never dwelt on them, they happened more frequently than I ever cared.  Funny though....they never seemed as obvious to me as they do now.....

I guess I'm more aware of those things happening now because they don't anymore.   Each time I walk into a place with tight spaces, I am more aware of how little space I don't take up anymore.  It's a great check on my progress and an incredible motivator.  

Motivation is a lot of what weight loss needs. I have many motivators.  This one is relatively new because it came after so much of a weight loss.  And I like it.  

Each person has to find their own motivator.  This is just one of mine.  As I continue this blog, I'm sure more of mine will come to light.  But some that were there in the beginning are no longer as motivating or even necessary at all.  Like life, motivators change.  Find your motivator, whatever it is it's OK.  It's personal.  Only you have to know.  Or you can share with people you care about.  Maybe it's a person who motivates you.  Most importantly, you have to find what speaks to YOU. Doing what others think you should do won't sustain you. I've tried to do that, too.  It doesn't work.  I promise.  

2 comments:

  1. Having gained 50 lbs in the past 10 years, due to a combination of chronic health problems and prednisone intake, my love for sugary sodas, and sheer apathy due to the exhaustion of trying to parent 3 young kids while dealing with my health issues. I can personally vouch for the "wide berth" phenomenon...it is amazing, simply amazing, how differently people treat me now that I'm heavier than before.

    I am posting this to tell you how proud I am of you, Elizabeth! I am just beginning my weight loss journey, and it is SO difficult to not use the "busy busy lifestyle constant demands of parenting blah blah blah" as an excuse to postpone healthy choices. I know this because I've done it! Ahem....and still do it, though I am getting better. Keep up the great work and keep us posted, K? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot...that was supposed to be a comma after "issues," to make it a nice, satisfying run-on sentence. I hate spotting typos when it's too late to fix 'em. And I find it ironic that my iPad corrects "fix 'em" to "fix me.". Hmm....

    ReplyDelete